What To Do If You're Seeing Ants In Your Atlanta Home
Ants are a common household problem in Atlanta that can become quite annoying to deal with. While ants are mostly harmless, nobody enjoys seeing their countertops crawling with them. Ants can also cost you quite a bit of money if they infest food that isn't properly stored, forcing you to throw it away.
Getting rid of ants on your own can also be quite difficult and never-ending. If you're struggling with an ant infestation, continue reading this article. We address the issues that ants can cause in your home, ways to prevent future infestations, and why pest control in Atlanta is the most efficient way to get rid of ants.
How To Tell If You Have An Ant Infestation
Many folks wonder, "How can I tell if I have an ant infestation as opposed to just one or two ants that got inside?" There are a few key ways to identify an ant infestation in your home:
- Check utility lines, pipes, and the foundation around your house for ant trails. Ants function in colonies, and you'll usually find them headed either to or from the queen; this is why you see them traveling in an assembly-like line.
- Inspect all the wood inside and outside your home. Finding holes in wood is an indication of carpenter ants. You will also probably find sawdust-like shavings from carpenter ants entering and exiting.
- Look for nests of ants under woodpiles and in foundation walls.
- Be aware of any trails of ants you discover. Follow them carefully to the source, and you'll likely find their nest.
If you also frequently have ants in areas where eating occurs, including areas where pets eat, you likely have an ant problem that requires professional ant control.
The Many Issues Ants Can Cause In Your Home
Ants are mostly just an inconvenience, but they can do quite a bit of harm when an infestation is present. The most widely understood fact about ants is that they can contaminate surfaces and food. Have you ever opened a box of cookies only to find them covered in ants? Or wondered why your cat or dog isn't eating their food, only to find their bowl swarming with ants? When you have an ant problem, you begin to worry that everything you eat might have an ant crawling inside it.
Ants can also cause harm to your home, depending on the type. Carpenter ants, for example, form small holes in wood and create galleries, which can weaken the structure over time. If you suspect you have carpenter ants, it's imperative that you hire professional carpenter ant pest control.
While most ants can't hurt you physically, fire ants are an exception. These ants sting you and can even cause an allergic reaction in those who are sensitive.
The Most Efficient Way To Get Rid Of An Ant Infestation
Store-bought products will only get you so far when it comes to ants. The most efficient way to get rid of an ant infestation is to hire a professional ant pest control company like Solstys Environmental. At Solstys Environmental, we understand exactly how ants work and where they like to hide because it's our job! Don't waste your time and money on amateur solutions when Solstys can get rid of your problem with effective ant control in Atlanta, GA.
Five Simple Tips To Prevent Future Ant Infestations
Even after ant extermination, you must instill new behaviors to prevent future infestations. Five simple ant prevention tips include the following:
- Fix any moisture issues in your home by installing proper insulation or getting a dehumidifier for problem areas.
- Seal up any cracks or holes around the interior and exterior of your home.
- Clean up any food or drink spills around your home immediately after they occur and be sure to keep a generally tidy home.
- Keep tree branches and other vegetation away from the house.
- Properly store food in containers with tight-fitted lids. Also, make sure trash bins have proper lids and that you empty them regularly.
Following these simple steps will help keep your home free from ants. Should you ever have an ant infestation, don't hesitate to call the professionals at Solstys Environmental. We offer the best pest control for ants in Atlanta.